Pitts Chapel Church
History & Heritage, Inc
The Pitts Chapel Marker reads:
The first record of Pitts Chapel dates back to October 13, 1860 when three and three-fourth acres of land were purchased from James Wells for $130 for the purpose of erecting a Methodist Episcopal Church. Upon this land was erected the largest and finest church of that time in Jones County. This church located at the Cross Roads in the southern part of the county was named Pitts Chapel for Peyton T. Pitts, Sr. who built it of his own means, and who was its main support until his death on July 1, 1885. The original frame building is of choice material and shows the skill and workmanship of Owen Bostic, master carpenter and slave. Several additions have been added through the years. In 1864, Pitts Chapel was commandeered by the Union Army as an advanced surgical hospital. The first trustees were Peyton T. Pitts, Sr., Thomas J. Stewart, Albert O. Blanks, Washington Kelly, and Giles Griswold.
Marker placed by Jones County History and Heritage, Inc.