Maggie Califf School
Jones County
History & Heritage, Inc
The Maggie Califf School marker reads:

In an effort to consolidate small schools, many of which were inferior for educational purposes, the Federal Government mandated that adequate schools for Negro children be built during the nation’s “separate but equal” era. In 1952, 23.5 acres of land was purchased by the Jones County School Board and under the authority of the Georgia State Board of Education, Maggie Califf School was built. The school was designed by Architect Bernard A. Webb, Jr. of Macon and built by Stillwell Construction Company, also of Macon, and would open under the supervision of Principal B. F. Crawford. The school was named in honor of Margaret Laney Califf, known by friends and family as Maggie, a prominent black educator of Jones County. Dedication ceremonies were held in the school gymnasium on Sunday afternoon, March 25, 1956. The stage was decorated with palmettos and gladiolas with the dedication address given by Rev. F. J. Jackson of Mt. Salem Baptist Church of Gray.

Marker placed by Jones County History and Heritage, Inc.