History & Heritage, Inc
Griswold School marker reads:
In the summer of 1924, three communities near Griswold asked that their schools - Mountain Springs, Bluff Spring, and Roberts be consolidated. Land for a new building was donated by J.R. Van Buren of Griswold. In September, Griswold Junior High, a three-room framed building was constructed.
The first graduation exercise in this section of Jones County was held in May of 1926. Seven girls were graduated from the tenth grade and were presented diplomas by Superintendent U.S. Lancaster. Twenty-three boys and girls completed tenth grade during 1926-1931. In 1932, tenth grade was discontinued and pupils were transported to Gray High. Although a room was added in 1928, patrons thought that a bigger and better school was needed.
After a local tax was passed by vote in the summer of 1940, a brick building was erected. A lunch program, sponsored by P.T.A., was opened in 1941. In 1949 Griswold beame an elementary school of seven greades. Griswold School was closed in 1963.
The longest serving teachers were Principal Mattie A. Wells, Myrtie J. Kelly, Mary E. Watson, and Edith L. Brown.
Marker Placed by Jones County History and Heritage Inc and